Northeastern University researchers are conducting a family study to understand how technology can help families to be physically active. Our study has been approved by the Northeastern University Institutional Review Board (#16-05-07). All families who participate will receive $160 in gift cards after completing the study. To participate in the study:
- At least one caregiver (e.g., parent, legal guardian) must own an Android smartphone with internet access.
- The caregiver must be 18 or older.
- The caregiver must have at least one child aged 3-8.
- The caregiver must be able to speak and read English because this study involves an English language survey and interview.
If you decide to participate, here is what you and your child will be asked to do:
- Complete a 60-90 minute family interview and survey about your family’s physical activity. The interview will be audio-recorded.
- Wear a fitness tracker (e.g., Fitbit, MI Band) daily for five weeks.
- Use an app to see your family’s fitness patterns and to read storybooks. We will help you install the app on your smart devices (e.g., phones, tablets) and the hardware if necessary.
- Two weeks and five weeks after the first meeting, complete another family interview and survey to discuss your activity and your experience with the tracker and app. These sessions will also last approximately 60-90 minutes each. The interviews will be audio-recorded.
If you have any questions, please call or text Herman Saksono at (857) 245-6328 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Family Health and Storytelling App Study Opportunity